OPM: Spicy White Beans with Quinoa
SPICY WHITE BEANS WITH QUINOA (SERVES 2)
This turned out to be a fabulous pre-workout meal with just enough carbohydrates and protein. Plus it wasn't too heavy! I had this puppy whipped up in about 20 minutes therefore qualifying this dish for the OPM (one pan man) series.
- ½ cup quinoa - rinsed
- 1-1/2 cup chicken broth - divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- ¼ teaspoon chili garlic sauce - more or less to taste
- ¼ cup onion - coarsely chopped
- 1 large tomato - diced (or, use ½ 15 oz. can diced tomato)
- 2 cups spinach leaves - coarsely chopped (or, substitute with frozen)
- 1 15 ounce can great northern beans - reserve 3 tbsp. liquid, drain the rest
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes - more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt-free, multi-purpose seasoning
Bring 1 cup chicken broth and quinoa to a boil over medium heat in a small sauce pan. Once boiling, reduce to low heat and cover, cook for about 15 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
While quinoa is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add EVOO, garlic, and chili garlic sauce. Once garlic is fragrant (about 2 minutes) stir in onion and tomato, cooking until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add spinach leaves and cook until wilted. Then add the remaining chicken broth (1/2 c.), beans and 3 tbsp. of their liquid, and seasonings. Stir until well combined and reduce to simmer until ready to serve.
Spoon white beans over the quinoa to serve.
For a vegan modification, substitute veggie broth for chicken.
Reader Comments (2)
I'm craving quinoa for some reason and this recipe looks great! I'm going to buy the ingredients tomorrow and try it out. Love our OPM series, by the way.
What's your favorite recipe from your index so far? I'm aiming to try at least 1 new recipe per week, and looks like you have to good ones.
Stay warm in Chicago!
Hi Emily, I tried this recipe today! I really love it. I doubled it so we'd have plenty of leftovers. I also added more chili garlic sauce because I like SPICY! I will definitely make this again.
You must login to post comments.